Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Mamava: Good for breastfeeding women?

I think the company itself has the right idea. Breastfeeding woman need a comfortable place to pump.  When only a dirty bathroom stall would be an option, these pods are great.  But at the same time, it gives others a new excuse to ask you not to breastfeed your child in public.  I was at an airport once being extremely discreet, sitting in a far corner, even using a nursing cover but refusing to go sit in a space pod to feed my daughter while waiting for a flight.  An airport employee walked over and said "you do know that there thing is for you to feed your child in?"  I couldn't decide if he was trying to help me or protect his own sensibilities.  Why should I have to go sit in "quarantine" so that my DLO can eat?  We don't make anyone go sit in quarantine to stuff their face with the big mac and large fries they grabbed down the way.  I also feel like it allows companies, businesses, etc to be lazy.  My place of employment just recently put in two lactation rooms but on the campus they are both located in a building that is a 10min walk for me.  It just isn't practical during a short class break for me to be able to utilize it.  I found an old locker room and pump in the shower.  Recently the building I am located in, installed a Mamava; nice, right?  But seriously?  They couldn't find a classroom or any small storage space they could convert into a lactation room?  They had to put this huge space pod in a busy area where everyone sees you pop in and then pop out.  I know I shouldn't feel awkward about it but I do.  And now, again, when I use my old locker room, anytime anyone hears/sees me, they're like, "you do know there'es a Mamava for that?" Yes I do.  And I choose to continue here and my apologies if it makes you uncomfortable!  Am I the only one who feels this way???

No comments:

Post a Comment