Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Med School-Semester 1

While, I haven't written despite my intentions to blog about my journey through medical school.  I think its because I'm still adjusting and still trying to realign my self-identity and life.  Medical school as a mother who lives 2.5hrs north of school is TOUGH.  I won't go into why I am commuting but only that it is a necessity.  I do have friends that I can stay overnight with but it also means I have a huge daily struggle about staying overnight with them so as to not miss certain classes and missing out on seeing DLO.  Currently I drive down 2x a week and stay over one night which effectively gives me three days on campus and 2 off.  I can watch lectures on lecture capture which is way more efficient and effective for me but I do miss some medium group work.  After our first exam (which was the hardest exam I've ever taken...and I've taken a lot of hard tests!), I hit the panic button and told the family we were moving!  Dear husband took it pretty seriously as we both know that we can't afford (both time or money) to have me repeat a year.  But then exam grades were posted and I was sitting comfortably in the top third of the class so the panic has (sort of) subsided for now.  I do get pretty down over all the things I miss out on.  There are some clubs, leadership roles, special lectures, and social events with my classmates that I would have really enjoyed getting to participate in but with the distance its never worth it.  I just really make sure to focus on the amazing things I do have that aren't worth trading for any day at the beach with classmates or shadowing a surgeon (as much as I'd lover to!): my AMAZING husband, my DLO (who breaks my heart daily as I send her away to daycare so I can get my 10hrs of studying in), our good life, our families.  The list could go on.  Hopefully as time progresses I can write cheerier posts about the cool aspects of medical school cause right now I have pretty mixed feelings about whether this was the best life choice for myself and my family.  But anyway, I'm wasting super precious study time.  Until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment