Monday, July 16, 2018

Surg-Ortho Trauma

Interesting speciality; liked the doc I worked with because he was super careful and a perfectionist in all his repairs. Was a huge adrenaline rush to get to 1st and 2nd assist.  Retracted, cut sutures, sutured a bit, held cameras, suctioned, and just got to be all up in the business of surgery.  For sure in my next life I'll go into surgery.  I love the motion of it, the sense of completion, of making a real definitive difference for a patient, for having an actual solution to a problem.  But its also hard on you, you're hungry/thirsty/have to pee but it doesn't matter.  Your arm might go numb holding equipment but you just keep standing there.  As the surgeon, no one else can solve the problem.  You are alone and any shit that hits the fan is solely your responsibility.  You can have that big ego but you better be good.  For me it was a super interesting but exhausting week. With a 2.5hr drive and long hours of standing sans food/water I was pretty knackered and had a tough time being "on" as a good mom all weekend when I really felt like I needed to take care of me but of course had no time/option of that.  I lost 3lbs in 1 week which rocked except I felt so weak and worn out..likely it was mostly muscle loss.  Got to scrub in on an ankle repair, distal humeral repair, total hip, several hip pinnings, tibial avulsion fx repair, SI pinning, shoulder reduction-all in all a great week.  Made me realize again how much more fun/interesting surgery is at least in comparison to primary care.  The surgeon's life seems to require a coddled way of life for the surgeon which is obviously not likely to happen in my life.  It was extremely difficult to feel like a good mom and that was coming home at 6:30p and leaving before they woke and weekends off..itd be a lot worse as a resident and that;d linger for years. Lydia was being super crabby and so I asked her if she preferred to be at Sol's house and her reply (at 2.5yrs)? "No mom, I'd prefer you didn't go to work." Ha. Poor kid.  Born to the wrong mom :( mommy guilt sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment