Monday, June 19, 2017

Two lines means what?!?

As recently as June 3, I have an angry blog post sitting in my "draft" box venting over all the people who seemed to not even want or care about the babies they had while I just kept turning up negative despite wanting a child so much.
Which brings us to last Friday morning, at 4a, I slipped out of bed to throw on my scrubs and head to the hospital. I was finishing a week of general surgery and loving every minute of it.  I loved the pace, the no nonsense, the more sure solutions to problems, the precision and skill required. I loved the early mornings and felt so motivated and in syn even when I got reamed for doing things like accidently cutting a stitch (instead of just the tail) or forgetting a certain anatomical landmark.  After a tough week with long days devoid of food, water, and bathroom breaks I have no idea what caused me to reach for a pregnancy test.   I sleepily glanced down at it as I was brushing my teeth and froze.  These were those super cheap tests from Amazon so it lacked the precise +/- that gives you rapid answers one way or another.  This one was either one or two lines.  As I looked at it again, my still sleeping brain tried to rapidly remember which one meant which.  Did two lines mean pregnant?!??! or not? I had to pull out the box and look at the directions several times.  And then sat there frozen again, holy shit.  I took another test, tried again.  Same result.  How can someone with a PhD have such a hard time remembering how many lines mean what?!  Perhaps this explains why I hated western blots.  But at long last I decoded the riddle: I am PREGNANT!!!! And to say I am shocked yet so truly excited would be an understatement.  I have had absolutely zero symptoms.  I've been focused and on top of my game and filled with insane amounts of energy.  I felt cutthroat and rock solid, no roller coaster of emotions, no tears, no mean streak (like first time around)  Granted I crash pretty hard when I get home from work but that's to be expected after 4a starts and hanging with DLO from the minute I'm done with surgery til bed.  I debated rushing to tell DH right away but figured it was a great day to whip it into a surprise. I had a shorter clinic day so would have a little time to do something fun.  I walked around on cloud nine all day.  The only thing I worried about was how long I'd been pregnant...I had gone nuts taking so many pregnancy tests that I had decided to veto them until my boobs hurt (which had been my big tell with DLO#1).  So I had gone on and on and done things like not eaten well during surgery, poor sleep, a couple sips of alcohol the weekend before with DH (luckily nothing more than that!) and tons of coffee.  All things I had religiously avoided even during TTC with #1. After clinic, I ran to the store, bought a cute little dinosaur onesie (DLO #1 favorite right now) and a white t-shirt that I decorate "#1 Big Sib" for DLO. But here I am, crazily in love with the idea of DLO#2, worried I messed up DLO#2 by not even knowing I was pregnant, knowing I'm crazy for planning to have a baby during clinical rotations, and yet still so happy.  Here we go, dating ultrasound in a week (2.5weeks after positive test) so I'll be able to feel more assured about viability and start making some plans.  Wooohoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment